Eco-Friendly Terranea Resort in Southern California Announces Commitment to Sustainable Practices
Submitted by: E-site Marketing
The eco-friendly Terranea Resort in Southern California announces its commitment to environmentally sustainable practices and energy conservation efforts.
Rancho Palos Verdes, CA (OPENPRESS) October 23, 2008 -- In reverence to the unmarred setting of Palos Verdes, Terranea Resort in Southern California, managed by Destination Hotels & Resorts, is being created with the utmost sensitivity to its native environment and a guiding philosophy of ecological sustainability. The existing contours of the land and varied microclimates create diverse natural habitats and every effort has been made to blend the ecological and aesthetic characteristics of the surrounding landscape into the resort.
Terranea is an eco-friendly California resort committed to protecting the valuable coastal resources that define the Palos Verdes peninsula and make Terranea one of the most valued natural locations in the world. No land mass is being removed from the area during the development of Terranea, and 40% of the materials from abandoned structures left behind by previous tenants are being recycled and used in site preparation of the new resort, and 65,000 tons of onsite rock was crushed to utilize under roads and walkways.
Terranea Resort's sustainable environmental practices call for measures to protect open space, improve wildlife habitat and treat storm water. To protect and enhance local water quality, Terranea is implementing a series of environmental best management practices that include wet ponds, Bioswales and storm filters.
Terranea offers over 631, 800 square feet of native habitat areas. One of the defining characteristics of the Palos Verdes Peninsula is the striking contrast between the texture of the native plants found on the hillsides and refined planting palette of the homes that abut these places. Together, the plants create a variety of intimate and social spaces that transition seamlessly from the interior to the exterior of the space
This sustainable California resort's water quality management goals are to protect and enhance local water quality by reducing storm water pollutants to limit storm water flows and to conserve the natural areas of the site. Terranea's pools will be treated with salt water in lieu of a fully chlorinated system. This process is both environmentally friendly and healthier for pool users.
Onsite stone has been quarried to use for stone veneer on the resort's walls within the landscape. The Boral Clay Pavers made from two of the most abundant natural materials on the planet, clay and shale, will be used throughout the site. They will be sand set to allow for the infiltration of water into the ground. This improves local water quality and further reduces impervious surface paving throughout the project.
Other eco-friendly resort practices implemented throughout Terranea include:
• Embrace the ultimate goal of zero-waste
• In year 1-3, attain at least 70% of waste not going to landfill
• Recycling program that includes paper, glass, plastic, metals and organic waste
• Adopt FLOSS philosophy for food: Fresh, Local, Organic, Seasonal, Sustainable
• Purchase bio-degradable room amenity containers
• Provide organic dry cleaning services
• Create uniforms made of bamboo cotton or chemical free organic cotton, wool or hemp
• Purchase from "green" vendors and suppliers
• Utilize certified "green" cleaning products
• Printed materials on 30% PCW (post consumer waster) and made with wind-generated electricity
• Print with vegetable ink
• Paperless check-in and check-out
• Utilize Green-Key (recyclable, bio-degradable and produced from paperboard)
• Utilize earth-friendly paper and FSC (Forest Stewardship Council) certified paper
• Energy efficiency program
• High-impact fluorescent light bulbs
• Water conservation program
• Utilize natural daylight
• Embrace DH&R Corporate Destination Earth initiatives